A family dentist has the training and education to provide dental care to patients of all ages – from toddlerhood to the senior years. When you’re looking for a dental clinic in Airdrie, it can be confusing to distinguish between a general dentist, family dentist, pediatric dentist, and other dentists who specialize in a certain area. In this article, we discuss some of the benefits of seeing a family dentist help you make an informed decision.
The difference between a general dentist and a family dentist
Although the goal of all dentists is to help their patients achieve and maintain healthy teeth and gums, there are specialized areas within the field. The main difference between a general dentist and a family dentist is that a general dentist may focus their services on a certain age group while family dentists encompass all stages of life.
Family dentists know to look for common issues at a certain age and how to prevent problems that will help you and your family achieve excellent oral health through the years.
The benefits of seeing a family dentist
- Patients can see the same dentist from childhood to adulthood, which helps foster a trusting and reliable patient-dentist relationship.
- When you go to the same dentist for years, they will have good knowledge of your dental history, monitor any issues, and understand your child’s teeth and jaw development more closely.
- Scheduling all of your family member’s appointments in one place is quick and convenient.
- Your family dentist can identify potential genetic issues. At Yankee Valley Dental, if we see certain oral problems in the parent, we record this on file and closely monitor if these same issues will present themselves in the children.
Family dentist services in Airdrie
Family dentistry involves much of the same services as general dentistry, tailored to each stage of life. Yankee Valley Dental offers:
- Professional dental cleaning
- Fluoride treatments
- Dental fillings
- Crowns and bridges
- Wisdom teeth removal
- Periodontal care
- Root canal therapy
- Sleep apnea treatments
- Oral cancer screening
- Emergency dental services
Our dental services are not limited to the above – if you can’t find what you’re looking for, give us a call and we would be happy to assist you. Yankee Valley Dental is an assignment office, which means that we work with your insurance company to determine the percentage they cover and we bill directly to your insurance for your convenience.