February is National Children’s Dental Health Month. This time of year offers an opportunity to celebrate and acknowledge your child’s oral health. The commemoration unifies oral health experts, caregivers, and parents to give children a positive start to their dental health.
From healthy snacks and oral routines to visiting your children’s dentist, this month reminds us to ensure our children are taking up proper oral health routines. Here’s how you can help recognize this important month with your child.
Few people know about National Children’s Dental Health Month, so spreading the word is a great way to celebrate. You can do this in several ways:
- Tell your friends and family
- Make a social media post using the hashtag #ChildrensDentalHealthMonth
- Engage your child in fun activities that encourage good oral health
Set a Good Example for Your Children
Kids learn by example. Try to make it a point for your children to see you practicing what you preach. The more your kids see you brushing, flossing, and eating healthy, the more they’ll follow your lead. You can practice good oral health habits together such as brushing and flossing together before bed.
There’s more than just one benefit to this practice. First, it will help you and your child adopt healthy oral habits; and second, it can strengthen your bond and build a better relationship for you and your youngster.
Try These Children’s Brushing Tips
If you’re having a hard time to get your child to take their oral health seriously, try some of these tips:
- Schedule it: Making a habit of brushing and flossing comes with consistency. Start a schedule and stick to it—even on special occasions and down days.
- Experiment: Try out numerous toothbrushes and toothpaste to see what your child enjoys most. Sometimes a brush branded with their favourite cartoon character or a particular flavour of toothpaste is enough to get them excited about it.
- Stay consistent: Initially, your child may object to tooth brushing and flossing, but with consistency, they’ll get used to it and adopt it as part of their regular routine.
Happy National Children’s Dental Health Month
Acknowledging National Children’s Dental Health Month will ensure your little one’s oral hygiene remains intact. Aside from the suggestions mentioned above, you can manage your family’s dental health through regular checkups.
At Yankee Valley Dental, we’re committed to helping you ensure your child’s oral health. Best of all, we offer flexible appointment times and direct billing with most major insurance providers. Contact us today to book your appointment.